Description : The origins of the Village are lost in the mists of time. At the most moved back times, this insulated rock was employed like defense and place of refuge. The Romans had already occupied the area. There exists, indeed, to 1,5 km in Western North, a camp strengthened with double enclosure and oppidum. Such as it is presented at our eyes, Gourdon gives a perfect idea of the Feudal Village. It is built on a peak whose formidable slopes that, after several hundred falls and fall, stop with the river of the Wolf (rivière du loup).
The castle constitutes one of the great characteristics of Gourdon. It is opened to the visitors since 1950, and is classified in the French Historic Monuments since 1971.